Welcome to Scoreattack.net Sign in | Join | Faq

Stick Canyon

Started by Lance Way at 02-11-2006 2:35 PM. Topic has 3 replies.

Print Search
Sort Posts:    
   02-11-2006, 2:35 PM
Lance Way is not online. Last active: 1/25/2007 2:48:51 AM Lance Way

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-11-2006
England
Posts 148
The Stick Canyon "several million points" glitch
Reply Quote

Just over a year ago now, I discovered an exploitable glitch in Stick Canyon that allows you to earn several million points with relatively little effort. As far as I was aware (and as far as I'm aware still) this hasn't been documented elsewhere on the internet, so after finding the glitch I wrote up a document explaining how to perform it for GameFAQs. Not that I particularly like GameFAQs, of course, but I prefer info to be archived somewhere that people can find it rather than be lost over time.

For one reason or another though, I never quite finished writing the document and never got around to submitting it, but I've just sat down and finished it up now, and you can read it here:

EDIT: Oh yeah, before attempting this glitch do back up your save-game file (or perform it on an "expendable" / fresh save-game), because it will permanantly screw up your score!

[Link]

I may or may not still submit the thing to GameFAQs, seeing as there are better places for NiGHTS info to be hosted now (like nightsintodreams.com or even this site, if you're after content submissions, tabitha? It wouldn't have to be in a horrible plain text format then, either. =P)

Also, I'd suspect that you won't want this glitch to be used for score submissions to the site, because it clearly represents a colossal screw-up in the game code (read the explanation!) and it allows you to beat the highest "legitimate" score eight times over with no appreciable skill... but, that's not exactly my decision to make. I just thought people should be aware that this glitch exists!

EDIT (01/02/2007): broken link(s) fixed.

02-11-2006, 7:47 PM
tabitha is not online. Last active: 3/20/2007 11:04:06 PM tabitha

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 01-22-2006
Posts 536
Re: The Stick Canyon "several million points" glitch
Reply Quote
That is just fascinating, I will have a try at that later on and see what results I get. This is of course assuming I can find my backup card.

I put a link to this thread on the front page of the site. I also have a glitch or two I would like to document, I am going to do a page under the gameplay section with little videos/explainations of various bits of wierdness going on. If you wouldnt mind I would be very glad indeed to host this FAQ if you are happy with this?

02-11-2006, 8:20 PM
Lance Way is not online. Last active: 1/25/2007 2:48:51 AM Lance Way

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-11-2006
England
Posts 148
Reply Quote

tabitha wrote:
If you wouldnt mind I would be very glad indeed to host this FAQ if you are happy with this?

Absolutely, though I'll need to modify a couple of things in it before you put it up (the legal boilerplate for one), plus, I haven't actually proofread or spellchecked it yet, and that would probably be a plan! Also, would you rather have it as a straightforward text document as it is now, or would you like me to get it into some kind of basic HTML formatting so you can integrate it into the site's page layout? (In that case I could also do a few screenshots to illustrate it, as I always think text-only things look a bit spartan.) Up to you really.

Also, I just looked at the news on the front page, and what I said about the glitch "screwing up your save game file" was probably misleading - it won't corrupt the file at all, but you *will* be stuck with the ridiculously high glitch-score as your top Stick Canyon score after performing the glitch, (because you'll simply never beat it with a legitimate score,) so the effects of the glitch are permanent in that respect; that's what I was attempting to warn people about, because I apparently haven't added that warning to the document (which, on second thoughts, I really should).

EDIT: so you shouldn't need to go looking for your backup card, just making a copy of your profile though the in-game menu and using that to try out the glitch should be safe enough. =)

02-12-2006, 2:12 AM
tabitha is not online. Last active: 3/20/2007 11:04:06 PM tabitha

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 01-22-2006
Posts 536
Reply Quote
I would love to have it as HTML formatting, Then I would just give it a header something along the lines of what I have with the Boss videos page. I acctually plan to have a page for infinite loops/high scores one of bosses, another for glitches and a 4th for kind of theories. Like things which we kind of havent got figured out yet. But yeah, if you dont mind I would be most greatful, On of us could do a video for it or something too?

Scoreattack.net » Score Attack - ... » Stick Canyon » The Stick Canyon "several million points" glitch